Spaulding Academy & Family Services is very pleased to share that we have a School Counselor position available, to work with our students, their families and our staff to address the psychological and social well-being of our students. The School Counselor will work in one-to-one, classroom, or school-wide sessions as needed.
Responsibilities include providing information to students, parents or guardians, and school staff, counseling students with personal and psychological issues using evidenced-based practices, and addressing relevant issues in the school, such as school attendance, substance use, safe school violations and social adjustment issues.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide individual and group therapy as outlined in IEPs, school-wide group counseling, and family support as needed. Document sessions in accordance with Spaulding policy as well as state and federal regulations.
- Counsel students with personal and psychological issues that affect their performance, behavior, and socialization in school.
- Communicate with students to determine the areas in which they may need assistance or counseling.
- Respond to school-wide crises, and/or impromptu individual/group needs (students or staff) by being present on the floor.
- Establish prevention programs and intervention plans.
- Be knowledgeable of student records to identify previous barriers and/or interventions as well as current progress and/or problems.
- Establish rapport with our student’s families. Communicating with regularity and documenting contacts as outlined by Spaulding policy.
- When appropriate, communicate with outside social service supports to help students and families.
- Help students and families suffering from adversity to connect with resources such as community social service supports, shelters, food banks, and medical care.
- Maintain an ongoing liaison with community agencies and other resources to meet student needs; refers parents and student to agencies when appropriate.
- Analyze information gained through record reviews and interviews to determine environmental impacts and appropriate resource needs.
- Determine through interviewing students and parents/guardians, and issues related to non-attendance and develop a plan of action. Assist the school in following school board regulations for excessive absences and truancy.
- When needed support our students and families in external encounters such as court, home visits, etc. virtually or in person.
- Communicate with parents or guardians, teachers, external team members, and administrators to understand students’ challenges as indicated by the case in a timely, positive, responsive fashion.
- Attend and participate in Special Education team meetings and internal interdisciplinary meetings. Collaborate with internal and external team members to support student successes.
- As part of the admissions process, gather information about the student to determine whether Spaulding might be a good fit for the student. Conduct parent or guardian interviews to acquire socio-developmental information as applicable.
- Develop and implement professional development trainings within area of expertise to provide education to staff and parents or guardians.
- Master’s degree.
- NHDOE license (or SOE) to practice School Counseling.
- Experience in School Counseling.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Compassion and empathy for students and staff.
- Ability to work as part of a collaborative interdisciplinary team.
- Professionalism and discretion.
- Positive relationships with relevant social services.
- Knowledge of available community support resources and the ability to help families access these.
- The ability to focus on priorities, excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Experience with using computerized systems and technology to organize, store and relay information with ease.
Spaulding proudly supports staff wellness by offering a very generous benefits package, free meals and free coffee in our dining hall, an on-site fitness center available to staff 24/7, several employee appreciation events through the year, and beautiful walking trails throughout our spectacular campus. To apply for the School Counselor role, please submit a resume, cover letter and three references to jobs@ spauldingservices.org.
We invite you to visit our informative website at www.spauldingservices.org to learn more about how we support our exceptional students and their families toward a successful future.
Spaulding Academy & Family Services is committed to maintaining a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.